In May, 1956, the Pharmaceutical division of the Kobayashi group
absorbed the former Kobayashi Pharmaceuticals Corporation which
had been a separate company since 1940, to become one company under
the name of "Kobayashi Pharmaceutical Corporation."
Daring not to use the established Kobayashi Daiyakubo Company name,
Saburo wanted to express strongly the two aspects of manufacture
and sales of the company by calling it "Kobayashi Pharmaceutical,"
an unfamiliar, less-friendly name.
In November of that year the newly created Kobayashi Pharmaceutical
completed and moved into their new premises that had been under
construction at 5-chome, Doshomachi Higashi-ku Osaka, the location
of the old company. In Doshomachi, which was still in the process
of recovery, the new five-story steel reinforced concrete building
dominated the surrounding buildings and boasted a conspicuously
grand appearance in the area.
For the new company, with its new locations in Osaka and Tokyo,
the good news kept coming in. Kobayashi Pharmaceutical entered the
top class of companies in the industry. Beginning around 1945, business
success steadily expanded in the new, post-war environment and conditions,
and Kobayashi gradually caught up with other companies less agile
in their recovery. In no time, they had achieved their pre-war dreams
of a position among top-class companies.
No one was pessimistic about the future prospects of Kobayashi Pharmaceutical.
In the industry, it seemed the success would continue, and few had
any doubts about its continued expansion--employees and directors
However, a small, dark cloud was looming in the otherwise bright
future of Kobayashi Pharmaceutical. In the spring of the following
year, 1957, foreboding activity had begun in the Tokyo branch.